16 February 2012

DJ ERNY, International Female DJ based in Bali

As published in Hotelier Indonesia Magazine
www.hotelier-indonesia.com
July-August 2011
full issue at:

A regular in the Kuta clubbing scene for more than ten years, DJ Erny shares her experiences with Hotelier Indonesia.

[HI] How did you get started DJing? 

[DJ ERNY]  Music has always been a part of my life.  I could often be found break-dancing with school friends in Kupang, or listening to music during my days at university in Bali. Though educated in tourism, my free time continued to revolve around music. Upon completing school, I decided to become a DJ and make music my career.  I’m lucky that I could make a career out of my hobby.


[HI] What was your first big break in the industry?

[DJ ERNY]  2001, landing the position as the Resident DJ for Maccaroni Club in Legian, Kuta.  Female DJs were quite rare at the time, so for Arturo Caruso to take me on as their first resident DJ was quite a significant step for both the club and for me.  I owe a debt of gratitude to Arturo for the ten very good years I had with the club.

[HI] Since Bali is one of the world’s top tourist destinations, you must have seen quite a diverse range of guests at Maccaroni during your decade there.

[DJ ERNY]  The variety of guests is one of the points I had enjoyed about mixing at Maccaroni.   We’d have customers from all over the world, from Australia to USA, India, Japan, Italy, France, Holland, South Africa, Russia … from almost anywhere.  Some would stop by the DJ booth for a quick word or request. 

We also had our share of regulars.  One was a pilot with Cathay Pacific based in Hong Kong.  He was a surfer who made Bali his regular surf destination.  We had other regulars from Australia, Singapore, Java and around the region.

[HI] With the diversity in music around the world, it must have had an impact on what you carry with you.

[DJ ERNY]  Yes.  People would request their favorites which could range from Hindi to Euro-Dance to Hip Hop, club charts and others.   At times the club’s staff would let me know where a large group is from, and I’d play something from their region.   I remember the excited reaction from group of Russians when I’d play a top mix from the club scene in Moscow.  Having a club in the heart of Legian play a Russian vocal had caught them by surprise.  I enjoyed seeing their reaction.  Part of a DJ’s job is to read the crowd and keep them engaged.

[HI]  What music genres do you prefer?

[DJ ERNY]  My preferred genres include House, Tribal, Funky-House, Electro and Progressive.  However, due to the wide range of clubbers we have in Bali, I prepare a wide-range of music.

[HI]  You were able to play gigs out-country in recent years.  Where have your travels taken you?

[DJ ERNY]  I’ve had the good fortune to travel both within Indonesia and abroad.  The travel has allowed me to see the variety our world offers, including Australia, USA, Hong Kong, Macau, Dubai and Thailand.  I have also visited countries in the developing world like Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos.

[HI] Did gigs must have varied from one gig to the next?

[DJ ERNY]  Yes, there was big difference depending on the location.  Playing the discotheques in Vientiane (Laos), Siem Reap (Cambodia), Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam) and Yangon (Myanmar) was typically to locals who were accustomed to hip-hop .. a genre that wasn’t often played at Maccaroni.  Being accustomed to a wide-range of guests in Legian, I was able to accommodate their preferences.

Playing clubs like Les Visages (Hong Kong), Glow Bangkok and StereoLab Phuket was for well-travelled expats who preferred House, Tribal and Progressive.   This also was also the type I played at S Nightclub in Holland USA.

[HI] You spent quite a bit of time in Hong Kong. What interesting stories or experiences did you come home with?

[DJ ERNY] I was at Les Visages Nightclub in Wanchai, Hong Kong for six weeks, as the International DJ at the center of their DJ Festival.  I was supported by six DJs based in Hong Kong.

Sunday afternoons were very interesting, as I began playing at 3pm (3 in the afternoon).  Hong Kong has a very large population of domestic helpers from Philippines and Indonesia.  Sunday was the one day they would have off from work.   They would hit the clubs in Wanchai mid-afternoon until well into the night.   Whereas the dance floor packed with western expats six nights a week, Sunday afternoons had the club filled with young maids enjoying their one day off.

While in Hong Kong, I was also given the opportunity to get around and experience the nightlife with other club DJs.   With them, we’d typically visit nightclubs in Wanchai, Lang Kwai Fong and Kowloon, giving me a broader experience on the Hong Kong club scene.

More about DJ ERNY can be found at:
Website:  www.djerny.com

We wish to thank DJ ERNY for the time she’s taken to share with us.




No comments:

Post a Comment