17 February 2013

Interview with Jakub Sippl, Director of Food & Beverage at Amiana Resort NhaTrang


from Hotelier Indonesia Magazine
Issue 10, 2013

During our travels, Hotelier Indonesia comes across executives with a unique path in the hospitality industry.  In recent travels on the southern coast of Vietnam, we had the pleasure to meet with Jakub Sippl, Director of Food & Beverage at the new Amiana Resort in Nha Trang.

[HI] You seemed to grow-up in the hospitality industry.  When and how did you get your first work in a hotel? 

[JS]  I have grown up in the hotel actually. My mother worked as Executive Housekeeper in one of the hotels in our town. I used to go there after school since I was 7 or 8 years old and spend 2 to 3 hours every day. Running around in the back of the house and discovering the work flows. When I turn 14 I took my first part-time job in Stewarding department, I would be washing pots and pans in my free time, unless like most kids my age, I was making a “good “pocket money those days…When they asked me which high school I will choose I automatically decided to study hotel high school and since then I knew what I want to do in life.



[HI]  You're currently Director of Food & Beverage at Amiana Resort in Nha Trang, Vietnam.   Having a quick look at the site, it is quite impressive.   As the resort is weeks from opening, what are some of the pre-opening responsibilities you've been responsible for?

[JS]  I have joined Amiana over 4 months ago, since than we were able with clear direction of our General Manager create a new concept for our flagship restaurant called Bacaro. With his support we determined the way F&B in our resort will go and I am proud to say that we will feature plenty of new products for this market and feature a lot of new ideas and service touch points. I wish to share the details, but people will have to simply come and experience themself.

[HI]  Can you give us a bit of a background on your path to Amiana Resort?

[JS]  I have moved abroad 9 years ago, my first destination was sunny Malta, where I worked for international chain. I was able to quickly progress my career with 2 task force in Africa (Djibouti and Tanzania) where I was part of the pre-opening teams. After Malta, I have moved to UK, where I worked in one of the leading hotels of the world before moving to London to do my management training . At that time I felt like I need big challenge in my life and took an opportunity to move to Vietnam for the first time. I have been in Asia since, working in Cambodia and Indonesia, before ending in Vietnam again.

[HI]  Is there a particular challenge or two you've had to address in your career?

Hotelier Indonesia
Issue 10, 2013
[JS]  As you know, Hotelier life is full of challenges, but my biggest challenge so far was being in charge of Food and Beverage Operations in athlete village for Seagames 2011 in Palembang, Indonesia. The hotel chain I worked for a that time got the contract only less than a month ago, so we had very little time to prepare and organized. During the preparation time we had to overcome many challenges, for example the kitchen in the athlete village was not ready before and during the event, so we have to prepare food in our hotel and deliver by heated trucks, which was about 15 km route. Since we were running 24 hours operation for 16 days it required a lot of logistics and coordination. 

In addition to that we were hosting some of the head of states and government officials during that period, for example President of Indonesia,  Princess of Thailand, Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore and many more. After less than a month preparation, 16 days of execution of the event all was successfully done. I have to say that my team did amazing job and they really exceeded my expectation. This was the biggest and most difficult challenge for me so far…I am hoping for more in a near future.

[HI]  What personal goals have you reached?   What goals have you set for the future?

[JS]  So far I have set a several personal and work goals. Some short term and some long term. Talking about work, I have reached my goal so far, which was a managerial position in high class 5 star pre-opening experience, which Amiana is. My future goal is to establish F&B operation with Amiana and ensure to have the most enjoyable culinary and service experience in Vietnam together with creating the most enjoyable environment for my staff.

[HI]  Is there a personal philosophy that drives your career?

[JS]  I do have personal philosophy which drives me since the beginning. It does develop with me of course, but the core is to work hard and most importantly smart in order to achieve my goals.

[HI]  What advice do you have to others starting their careers in the industry?

[JS]  This industry can be quite hard sometimes and many people can start in the wrong places which change very quickly their perception about this job. My advice would be to create your own career path and follow your targets, some people could call it dreams. Always learn from your co-workers. Bad and good habits, because in the end every experience is a good experience. I always try to turn negative to the positive. Since we work in very stressful and full of pressure environment it is not a career for everybody, but to me there is no better feeling than going home after a well organized event or leaving property which became successful thanks to your contribution.

In the end I would like to thank you Bill for this interview, great talking with you. I wish all the readers of Hotelier Indonesia great year 2013 and good luck with their careers and assignments.

Hotelier Indonesia would also like to thank Jakub for sharing his experiences in the industry.   Further information about Nha Trang’s new Amiana Resort can be found at:  http://www.amiana.com.vn/




No comments:

Post a Comment